BSc: July 1984, University of Santiago de Compostela, Chemistry.
PhD: July 1988, University of Santiago de Compostela, Chemistry.
- Full Professor (Catedrático), Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, since may 2005.
- Scientific Director of the Research Center CIQUS, since 2014.
- FPI. Fellow, University of Santiago de Compostela, 1985-1989.
- Postdoctoral Associate Researcher, Stanford University (USA), January 1989-October 1990.
- Postdoctoral Associate Researcher, Harvard University (USA), June 1992-October 1992
- Assistant Professor, University of Santiago de Compostela, 1991-1993.
- Associated Professor, University of Santiago de Compostela, 1993-may 2005.
- Visiting Scholar, Harvard University (USA), June-October 1995.
- Visiting Professor, University of Cambridge (UK), july-august 2009.
- Visiting Scientist, MIT (USA), july-august 2013.
Major honors and awards
- Habilitation to Full Professor (national competition), Sevilla 2003.
- Janssen Cilag Organic Chemistry Award of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry (2009).
- President, founder of the Chemical Biology group of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry (2012).
- Gold medal of the University of Santiago de Compostela (2013).
- Advanced Grant award of the ERC (2014).
- Galician of the year “Grupo Correo Gallego” (2014).
- GDCh-lecturer: Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (January 2015) and Philips Marburg Universität (April 2015)
- Gold Medal of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry (RSEQ, 2015)
- Felix Serratosa Lecturership 2015.
- Highlighted on Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. as “Personal Profile” (10.1002/anie.201503243), 2015.
- Selected member of the EURASC (European Academy of Sciences) 2016.
- Selected as member of the Kærton Foundation and the Gadea Foundation for Science (2017).
- Galician Critic Award in research (2018).
Membership and boards
- Member of American Chemical Society, the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry, and the Spanish Society of Biochemistry and Molecular biology.
- Member of national and international evaluation committees. Committee of ERC Advanced Grants Evaluation (Brussels, 2014 and 2016).
- Member of directing board of the Organic Chemistry group of the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry, since 2009.
- Member of the steering committee of European Symposium on Bio-organic Chemistry (ESBOC, UK) since 2010, the Marcial Moreno Mañas School since 2008, the Iberian Peptide Meeting (EPI) since 2007 and the group of Chemical Biology of the RSEQ (since 2011).
- Member of the International editorial advisory board of ChemBioChem (since 2007), Asian Journal of Organic
Chemistry (since 2011), and ACS Omega (since 2017).
- Scientific Director of the Center for research in Biological Chemistry and Molecular Materials (CIQUS) since 2014.
- Partner of the MB Use Innovations, S. L. technological company 2015.
- Spanish representative of EuChemS, since 2015.
- Member of the Scientific committee of the “Centro de Estudios Avanzados” (USC), since 2015.
- Member of the Scientific Assessment Committees: CINBIO (Vigo) and CIQSO (Huelva).
- Honorary Member of the Argentinian Organic Chemistry Society, since 2017.
- Member of the European Academy of Sciences (EURASC), since 2017.
- Member of the scientific committee of the Kærtor and Gadea Foundations, since 2017.
- Member of the scientific advisory board of the ICAQ (Barcelona, Spain), since 2018.
Current research interests split between a synthesis program focused on the development of metal-catalyzed processes, and a chem-biomed program aimed at designing new nucleic acid and protein recognition and sensing tactics and developing cellular probes and bioorthogonal metallocatalysts.
10 selected recent publications (out of more than 180, many in journals with IF>10)
- “Palladium-Catalyzed, Enantioselective Formal Cycloaddition between Benzyltriflamides and Allenes:
Straightforward Access to Enantioenriched Isoquinolines” X. Vidal, J. L. Mascareñas, M. Gulías. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 1862–1866.
- “Gold(I)–catalyzed enantioselective annulations between allenes and alkene-tethered oxime ethers: A straight entry to highly substituted piperidines and aza-bridged medium-sized carbocycles” D. Cagiao, I. Varela, J. Fernández, J. L. Mascareñas, F. López. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 16821-16833.
- “Rhodium(III)-Catalyzed Annulation of 2-Alkenyl Anilides with Alkynes through C-H Activation: Direct Access to 2-Substituted Indolines” M. Font, B. Cendón, A. Seoane, J. L. Mascareñas, M. Gulías. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 8255-8259.
- “Concurrent and orthogonal gold(I) and ruthenium (II) catalysis inside living cells” C. Vidal, M. Tomas-Gamasa, P. Destito, F. Lopez, J. L. Mascareñas. Nature Communications, 2018, 9, 1913.
- “Ruthenium-Catalyzed Azide-Thioalkyne Cycloadditions in Aqueous Media: A Mild, Orthogonal, and Biocompatible Chemical Ligation” P. Destito, J. Couceiro, H. Ferreira, F. López, J. L. Mascareñas. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 10766-10770.
- “Anion Recognition as a Supramolecular Switch of Cell Internalization” J. Rodríguez, J. Mosquera, J. Couceiro,
Jonathan R. Nitsche, E. Vázquez Sentís, J. L. Mascareñas. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 55-58.
- “Metal-dependent DNA recognition and cell internalization of designed, basic peptides” S Learte-Aymamí, N. Curado, J. Rodríguez, M.E. Vázquez, J.L. Mascareñas . J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 16188-16193.
- “Transition metal catalysis in the mitochondria of living cells” M. Tomás Gamasa, M. Martínez, J. Couceiro, J. L. Mascareñas. Nature Communications 2016, 7, 12538.
- “Rhodium-Catalyzed (5+1) Annulations Between 2-Alkenylphenols and Allenes: A Practical Entry to 2,2-
Disubstituted 2H-Chromenes” N. Casanova, A. Seoane, J. L. Mascareñas, M. Gulías. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 2374-2377.
- “Rhodium (III)-Catalyzed Dearomatizing (3+2) Annulation of 2-Alkenylphenols and Alkynes” A. Seoane, N.
Casanova, N. Quiñones, J. L. Mascareñas, M. Gulías. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136, 7607-7610.
21 patent applications (four licensed)
Major on-going funding
- ERC Advanced Grant 2013 (METBIOCAT, UE). Start: February 2014, End: January 2020.
- SAF2016-76689-R (AEI, MICINN, Spain).
- ED431C20171/19 (Xunta de Galicia).
Supervision and training
- 20 postdoctoral associates, 7 currently in the group.
- 32 PhD thesis supervised, and 12 ongoing.
- More than 80 master and undergrad students supervised.
- 5 PhD students of the group gained a Ramón y Cajal position, and 3 the award of the RSEQ for young investigators.
- The following former PhD or postdoctoral students have established academic careers as professors: T. Knoerzer (USA), V. Dodero (Argentina), M. Araya (Chile), G. Bhargava (India), A. Rumbo (Spain), M. E. Vázquez (Spain), F. López (Spain), M. Gulías (Spain), O. Vázquez (Marburg), J. B. Blanco (Spain), E. Pazos (Spain), C. Comanezcu (Bucharest), J. Francos (Spain).
- The following former PhD or postdoctoral students have joined industrial companies: S. Vázquez (LEITAT Tech. Center, Barcelona), C. Portela (Lilly), J. R. Garrido (Galchimia), A. Caamaño (Galchimia), A. Delgado (Italfarmaco), N. Quiñones (Galchimia), L. Saya (Eurofins Villapharma Res.), P. Destito (Galchimia).
- The following former PhD or postdoctoral students hold postdoctoral positions: J. Mosquera (Eindhoven, NL), H. Faustino (Lisboa, PT), M. Sánchez (Boston, US), J. Rodríguez (Tolousse, FR), A. Seoane (San Diego, US), N. Casanova (Cambridge, UK), N. Curado (Brooklyn, New York, EEUU), R. Nelson (Chile).
- 7 PhD students were granted with a MSCA fellowship.
- 7 PhD students got the Lilly Award to the best doctoral thesis.
- 1 PhD student among the 10 finalist of Reaxis international award (Jéssica Rodríguez).
- 1 PhD student among the EYCA 2018 finalist (Jéssica Rodríguez).
- 1 PhD student got the Suschem Award (Noelia Casanova).
- 1 PhD student got the Chemical Biology Award of the RSEQ (Jéssica Rodríguez).
Congresses, conferences and talks[AJ1]
- Over 135 invited and plenary lectures in Symposiums and in Research Centers and Universities.
Organization of international conferences
- 5th Spanish-Italian Symposium on Organic Chemistry (Santiago, 2004). Member of the organizing committee.
- International Iberian Peptide Meeting (Santiago, 2008). President of the organizing committee.
- Prospects in Chemical Sciences (Santiago, 2009). President of the organizing committee.
- 4th School on Organometallic Chemistry, Marcial Moreno Mañas (Santiago, 2011). President of the organizing committee.
- 1st Biennial Meeting of the Chemical Biology Group (RSEQ) (Santiago, 2012). President of the organizing committee.
- Biological Applications of Supramolecular Chemistry, (ESBOC 2013, Gregynog, UK, 16-18th may 2014). President of the scientific committee.
- XXV Reunión Bienal De Química Orgánica (Alicante, 4-6th June 2014). Member of the scientific committee.
- International School on Organometallic Chemistry Marcial Moreno Mañas (Sevilla, June 2015). Member of the steering and scientific committee.
- 8th IUPAC International Symposium on Organometallic Chemistry (OMCOS 18; Sitges-Barcelona, June 28th-July 2nd 2015). Member of the scientific committee.
- XXXV Biennial meeting of Spanish Society of Chemistry (Coruña, 19-23th July 2015). President of the scientific committee.
- Euchems Organic Chemistry division, 8th Young Investigator’s workshop (Huelva, 16-17th september 2016). Member of the organizing committee.
- Prospects in Chemical Sciences II (Santiago, 2018). President of the organizing committee.
- XXXVII Biennial meeting of Spanish Society of Chemistry (San Sebastian, 26-30 may 2019). Member of the
Back to Speakers